Website Cranfield Aerospace Solutions
The senior control systems engineer will lead, conduct or support the specification, design, installation, configuration, commissioning and testing of control systems, electronics and embedded software (C or C++) for the full range of Cranfield Aerospace Solutions Ltd projects, including aircraft prototypes, modifications, ground test articles, aircraft simulator motion cueing systems and motorsport simulators.
Scope. The role may involve projects as diverse as peer reviews of other companies’ work, advice for research and funding organizations, design of experimental prototypes or programmes for customers, or new aircraft or systems studies or designs for customers or in-house projects. The role will involve preparing own reports and – in due course – acting as a checking signatory for colleagues’ reports within the scope of the Senior Control Systems Engineer’s personal competence. The role may also involve supervision of other engineers within the same team or within an inter-disciplinary design team formed for a specific task or project.
Principal Accountabilities. The post holder will be accountable to the Chief Avionics & Electrical Engineer for:
• Conforming with company procedures, processes and standards.
• Meeting customer requirements and airworthiness regulations (or other applicable regulations or specification) as detailed specified within the scope of the contract, task or project documentation.
• Providing accurate and effective designs, analysis or advice (as appropriate), based on: customer requirements; airworthiness, certification and safety requirements; project timescales and budget.
• Working with (and supervising, when designated) other team members, as appropriate to ensure overall project delivery.
• Acting as Lead Engineer on assigned projects, taking responsibility for development of the customer relationship and supporting the acquisition of follow-on business.
• Developing Subject Matter Expert status on agreed topics.
• Supporting the efficient running of the Avionics & Electrical design engineering team, supporting and mentoring other team members as required, and supporting the efficient management and organization of team projects and tasks
• Performing any other duties that are assigned by the Chief Avionics & Electrical Engineer, required to support the wider business and within the competence of the Senior Control Systems Engineer.
· Concepts, studies, specification, design, commissioning and testing of control electronics for the following applications:
o Aircraft flight control systems
o Simulator control and actuation systems
o Aircraft communications, connectivity and datalink systems
o Aircraft electric and hybrid-electric propulsion systems
o Aircraft power generation and distribution systems
o Air data systems
o Uninhabited air vehicles
· Concepts, studies, specification, design, commissioning and testing of electronic and electric actuation systems for aerospace and simulation applications
o First degree in electronic, control, automation or instrumentation engineering If within the personal competence of the post-holder and subject to specific training and authorization, to perform the duties of Authorizing Engineer, Senior Authorized Person or Authorized Person for Hazardous Voltages safety, if and when required by CAeS.Essential:
o Or first degree in electrical engineering, aeronautical engineering, aerospace engineering, avionics, software, systems engineering, mechatronics or motorsport engineering, with a major (or main elective courses or main projects) in control systems or electronic systems design
o Or evidence of relevant professional experience that demonstrates the application of graduate-level engineering skills, knowledge and responsibility in control systems or electronic systems design, in an aerospace or defence environment
· Desirable: Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) with an appropriate engineering institution
· Desirable: post-graduate qualification in a relevant engineering discipline
· Desirable: recognized training and experience as an Authorizing Engineer, Senior Authorized Person or Authorized Person for Hazardous Voltages safety
Applicants should be eligible to apply for security clearance.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.