Lilium is looking for a lead propulsion test engineer to join the team.
The Systems Testing department is responsible for various disciplines covering component, system, and aircraft level tests. Our teams run tests that facilitate certification, development, and research for the technology areas: Propulsion, Batteries, Structures, Environmental Tests and Hardware in the Loop (HIL).
It is set up in three divisions: Testing, Test Management and Test Operations. You will work in the Propulsion Testing team, and you will have complete ownership with end-to-end responsibility over test campaigns and test rigs for propulsion.
This comprises the holistic test environment for the propulsion system, including engine, actuator, and electronic controllers. In this role you work in close collaboration with your colleagues from design, testing and test operations.
As a lead engineer, you will support the testing management and provide guidance to colleagues to establish and comply to processes, methods, and best practices for propulsion testing. As a test engineer at Lilium, you will manage the complete process of testing from requirements breakdown & concept development through design, calculation & production up to the test setup, instrumentation & test execution including the final data processing & reporting.
You will manage technology development tests, as well as validation and verification test in relation to applicable regulations (SC-VTOL, SC-EHPS, and similar). With many interfaces to the engineering teams like Propulsion, Flight Mechanics and Avionics your work comprises multidisciplinary tasks with tight timescales, which require focused, efficient, and proactive thinking to achieve effective and creative test approaches.
Your day to day:
• Working with Lilium’s propulsion system and related aircraft system – theoretical and hands-on;
• Planning and setting up lab and rig tests;
• Evaluating test requirements in relation to Lilium’s propulsion system and deriving test concepts with idealization of physical effects and first principles reasoning approach;
• Driving the holistic and agile test process throughout the phases of planning, design, setup, execution, and reporting;
• Close collaboration with design, validation and verification teams, specialist engineers, other test engineers, technicians and electricians.
• Degree in aerospace engineering (M. Sc./Ph.D.) or a related field;
• 10+ years of hands-on testing experience of aircraft engines;
• Strong knowledge of processes, methods, and best practices in engine testing within the aerospace industry;
• Experience with measurement methods for aircraft engine testing;
• Experience with test rig and test lab management;
• Experience in certification processes and regulations (e.g. CS-E) is beneficial Experience with multi-kW electrical machines is beneficial; • Driven individual with the ability to probe and challenge assumptions;
• High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as individually;
• Target-oriented workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills;
• Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial.