European Space Agency
Vacancy in the Directorate of Space Transportation.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale and is for a limited duration of four years (non renewable).
ESRIN, Frascati, Italy
Vega Launch System Project Engineer, Vega Operational Launch System Project, Vega Exploitation Programme, Launchers Exploitation Department, Directorate of Space Transportation.
Under the direct authority of the Vega Operational Launch System Project Manager and Vega-C Launch System Architect, you are responsible for:
- supporting the Project Manager in running the LEAP work orders under the latter’s responsibility (contract negotiations, planning control, cost analysis, industrial works assessment);
- being the technical focal point in the Vega Integrated Project Team for the definition, verification, validation and synthesis of all Launch Range interfaces and all Launch Base-to-Payload interfaces, including managing the associated Interface Requirements and Interface Control Documents;
- supporting the maintaining and evolution of the Launch System qualification status for the Vega and Vega-C Launch Range including delta qualification activities, analysis of justifications of Launch System changes impacting the qualification status, conducting independent technical verifications of that status;
- supporting the maintaining and evolution of the Launch System qualification status for Vega and Vega-C Payload operational activities during exploitation, including verification of changes of operational specifications, ensuring full Launch System operability during this phase and the parallel development phase;
- managing implementation of the Vega-C Launch Range (Vega Complementary Means) activities;
- supporting independent verification of Vega-C Exploitation HLR for the Launch Range and Launch Base-to-Payload interfaces;
- contributing to maintaining the Vega-C Launch System Master File for the Launch Range and Launch Base-to-Payload interfaces;
- supporting preparation and execution of Vega-C combined tests and maiden flight launch campaign;
- supporting implementation of the Space Rider ground segment development contract (negotiations, planning control, cost analysis, industrial works assessment).
A Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in engineering or physics
Minimum ten years of direct system-level experience in ground segment development for space transportation systems in industry and in ESA Programmes.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 1 June 2020.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.
To apply for this job please visit career2.successfactors.eu.