This role presents a unique opportunity for you to lead a team working to deploy Universal Hydrogen’s unique hydrogen storage and powertrain technology on the ATR 72 regional aircraft fleet. You will be responsible for the integration of hydrogen storage modules, our fuel cell powertrain, and all other structural and system modifications required to obtain an STC and begin the true zero emissions revolution in regional aviation.
About the Role
- Develop a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for the ATR 72.
- Promote Universal Hydrogen in Europe as the short-term route to a true zero emissions regional aircraft.
- Build and lead a team of talented engineers in Toulouse.
- Identify and develop a close working relationship with an aircraft modification business in Europe with the capability to modify the ATR 72.
- Work closely with the team in Hawthorne to install the key components and software developed for the hydrogen fuel cell powertrain.
- An accomplished leader with a proven capability to lead and inspire a team.
- You should have a track record of delivering on difficult projects in challenging timescales.
- Have a strong practical engineering background, degree-level qualification, and experience in aircraft modifications.
- You should be open-minded and passionate about developing your team.
- Have the ability to build relationships with partners, suppliers, and OEMs.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
To apply for this job please visit hydrogen.aero.