The Flight Test Instructor (FTI) / Test Pilot (TP) shall be qualified and is primarily responsible to the Chief Flying Instructor (CFI), Fixed Wing (FW) for delivering instruction on the Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS) FW courses. They shall also deliver other flight crew tasks as directed by the Head of Flight Operations such as flying flight test activity under QinetiQ’s Flight Test Organisation (FTO).
The job holder will be employed as a FTI and TP and will be required to work primarily on ETPS. They will be accountable to the CFI (FW) for:
1. Delivering a range of long course and short course ground school lectures and in-flight instructional sorties to both Test Pilot and Flight Test Engineer (FTE) students.
2. Assessing and grading ETPS student flying and reporting standards as well as mentoring and providing constructive debriefing / feedback, thereby enhancing flight safety and accelerating learning.
3. Timely and efficient delivery of other flight crew tasks such as consulting, flight test activity and special mission operations or others as directed by the Head of Flight Operations / Chief Test Pilot.
1. Providing exemplary flight test tuition to ETPS students.
2. Teaching all aspects of flight test theory and practical techniques to experienced multi-national aircrew.
3. Contributing to the course development and modernisation of the ETPS course syllabuses and driving continuous improvement
4. Clarifying subject material that is inherently complex so that students of all nationalities can understand and then apply the associated principles.
5. Maintaining a safe course environment, working closely with our military/civilian colleagues, while challenging students to produce high levels of performance
6. Playing a leading role in the continuing high standards of aviation safety inherent in ETPS and QinetiQ Civil Flying Organisation (QCFO) flying operations
Experience & Qualifications
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
• Graduate Fixed Wing Test Pilot
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Completed at least one tour (minimum 2 years) on a flight test department / squadron / unit, engaged on a range of significant projects.
• Completed at least 200 hrs Cat 1 or 2 flight tests (this may include flight test training).
• A sound knowledge of the performance, systems and stability & control of aircraft.
• Ability to teach on the ground and instruct in the air
• First rate organisational and administrative skills
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Medically fit to gain an EASA / CAA Class 1 Medical
• Able to meet the normal security requirements of QinetiQ personnel at Boscombe Down
• Team player with excellent inter-personal skills
• Ability to motivate, inspire and mentor
• Patient, well organised and willing to be flexible.
• Broad and extensive experience within the flight test community
• Significant Fast Jet experience
• In-flight instructional experience; ideally with flight test instructional experience
• Civilian Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence (ATPL) or Commercial Pilots’ Licence (CPL/IR)
• Civilian FW instructional experience/rating
• In current flying practice (at least 50 hrs in the previous 12 months) with recency in a test flying role.
To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.
To apply for this job please visit careers.qinetiq.com.