Website Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has an opening for a flight test engineer within the flight test group.
Your primary responsibility is the safe and successful execution of experiments for the Flight Test Group. You will be responsible for many aspects of the experiment including, but not limited to, experimental design, experiment execution to ensure equipment readiness and viability, deployment and recovery operations of diagnostic rafts in the open ocean, and equipment troubleshooting in the field. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
In this role you will
- Participate in mission execution for approximately 2 to 4 missions each year, each requiring extended travel of 2 to 6 weeks in remote locations.
- Contributes to the fabrication, purchasing, hardware assembly, and diagnostic placement for experiments.
- Participate in experiments and implement diagnostic methods.
- Maintain accurate and detailed technical records of experimental design and data to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports
- Collaborate with other scientists, engineers, and technical staff in the implementation of safety guidelines for experimental operations by applying technical knowledge and skills in a variety of safety disciplines and ensuring design reviews are conducted.
- Provide data collection and analysis for experiments.
- Assist with optical setups and fabrication of equipment as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or related technical field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawings, including geometric tolerancing and dimensioning, knowledge of machining processes, mechanical fabrication and assembly, materials properties, and manufacturing methods.
- Experience with and/or knowledge of CAD software for design.
- Experience functioning as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to identify and recommend solutions to technical problems of limited complexity by evaluating readily identifiable factors using standard methodologies
- Experience in and/or knowledge of collection, analysis, and documentation of engineering and/or scientific data.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability and willingness to deploy to open ocean missions for 2-4 weeks as needed.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL policies and procedures and ES&H requirements, and DOE regulations, national codes and standards, and administrative relationships or ability to work in highly regulated environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
To apply for this job please visit www.llnl.gov.